By Dave Thomas, David Heinemeier Hansson, Sam Ruby
You are looking to write professional-grade functions: Rails is a full-stack, open-source net framework, with built-in aid for unit, useful, and integration checking out. It enforces reliable layout rules, consistency of code throughout your group (and throughout your organization), and correct unlock administration.
yet Rails is greater than a suite of most sensible practices. Rails makes it either enjoyable and straightforward to show out very cool net functions. want Ajax help, so your net functions are hugely interactive? Rails has it inbuilt. wish an software that sends and gets e mail? in-built. helps internationalization and localization? in-built. do you want functions with a REST-based interface (so they could engage with different RESTful functions with virtually no attempt in your part)? All integrated.
As with the former variants of the publication, we begin with a longer educational that builds elements of an internet shop. And, after all, the appliance has been rewritten to teach the simplest of Rails V2.
Read Online or Download Agile Web Development with Rails (3rd Edition) PDF
Similar web development books
Your professional advisor to development Microsoft® SharePoint® purposes within the cloud
Deliver customized, cloud-based enterprise suggestions utilizing SharePoint 2010 and home windows Azure™ jointly. through making use of hands-on recommendations from Microsoft cloud improvement professional Steve Fox, you'll how one can bring up the succeed in, source potential, and reusability of your apps. Get the sensible code routines and strong suggestion you need—whether you're making plans to construct entire data-driven purposes or hybrid recommendations with uncomplicated net elements.
Discover tips on how to:
* convey facts from home windows Azure market DataMarket into SharePoint and Microsoft place of work purposes
* Use Microsoft company Connectivity providers to connect with SQL Azure™ information
* Create complex internet elements to floor SQL Azure facts in Bing™ Maps, utilizing the SharePoint purchaser item version
* deal with documents in home windows Azure utilizing BLOB garage
* install home windows conversation starting place (WCF) companies to home windows Azure
* construct company intelligence ideas, utilizing SQL Azure, Microsoft SQL Server® Reporting providers (SSRS)
Get code samples on the net
able to obtain at http://go. microsoft. com/FWLink/? Linkid=000000.
For process standards, see the Introduction.
Want to benefit tips on how to create nice consumer stories on today's net? during this publication, UI specialists invoice Scott and Theresa Neil current greater than seventy five layout styles for construction internet interfaces that offer wealthy interplay. Distilled from the authors' years of expertise at Sabre, Yahoo! , and Netflix, those top practices are grouped into six key rules that can assist you make the most of the internet applied sciences to be had this present day. With a complete part dedicated to each one layout precept, Designing net Interfaces is helping you:
• Make It Direct-Edit content material in context with layout styles for In web page enhancing, Drag & Drop, and Direct choice
• continue It Lightweight-Reduce the hassle required to have interaction with a website by utilizing In Context instruments to depart a "light footprint"
• remain at the Page-Keep viewers on a web page with overlays, inlays, dynamic content material, and in-page move styles
• supply an Invitation-Help viewers observe web site positive aspects with invites that cue them to the following point of interplay
• Use Transitions-Learn while, why, and the way to take advantage of animations, cinematic results, and different transitions
• React Immediately-Provide a wealthy adventure by utilizing energetic responses equivalent to reside seek, reside recommend, dwell Previews, and extra
Designing net Interfaces illustrates many styles with examples from operating web content. if you would like to construct or renovate an internet site to be actually interactive, this booklet grants the foundations for success.
Grasp leading edge and attention-grabbing web design with the fascinating new Treehouse sequence of books
Turn undeniable phrases and pictures into lovely web pages with CSS3 and this gorgeous, full-color consultant. Taking net designers past the restrictions of prebuilt subject matters and easy site-building instruments, this new Treehouse publication combines practicality with proposal to teach you ways to create totally personalized, sleek web content that make audience cease and stay.
The interesting new Treehouse sequence of books is authored via Treehouse specialists and full of cutting edge layout principles and sensible skill-building. If you're an online developer, internet clothier, hobbyist, or career-changer, each publication during this useful new sequence will be in your bookshelf.
• a part of the recent Treehouse sequence of books, instructing you potent and compelling web site improvement and layout, supporting you construct useful talents
• offers career-worthy details from Treehouse execs and running shoes
• Explains the fundamentals of cascading sort sheets (CSS), akin to tips to constitution with CSS, use CSS syntax, tips to manage textual content, and visible formatting
• additionally covers the field version, the way to animate web page parts, cross-browser compatibility, and more
Leverage pages of impressive web design rules and professional guideline with a brand new Treehouse sequence publication.
Make the internet paintings for You
You know the way to layout. yet you could bring up your worth as a fashion designer available on the market through studying easy methods to make that layout functionality on the net. From informational websites to e-commerce portals to blogs to cellular apps, The Designer's net guide is helping any dressmaker comprehend the total existence cycle of a electronic product: suggestion, layout, construction and maintenance.
The most sensible internet designers create not just appealing websites but additionally websites that functionality well--for either customer and finish consumer. Patrick McNeil, writer of the preferred website design web publication designmeltdown. com and writer of the bestselling net Designer's concept ebook, volumes 1 and a couple of, teaches you ways to paintings with builders to construct websites that stability aesthetics and usefulness, and to do it on time and on funds.
- A Practical Guide to Managing Web Projects
- Getting Started with Backbone Marionette
- Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
- The Web Designer's Roadmap
- WebKit For Dummies
Additional resources for Agile Web Development with Rails (3rd Edition)
We’ll see a lot more of this when we introduce models into the equation. The Story So Far Let’s briefly review how our current application works: 1. The user navigates to our application. In our case, we do that using a local URL such as http://localhost:3000/say/hello. 2. Rails analyzes the URL. rb). 3. The next part of the URL path, hello, identifies an action. Rails invokes a method of that name in the controller. This action method creates a new Time object holding the current time and tucks it away in the @time instance variable.
How to change the version of Rails that your application is using is described in the sidebar on page 264. 2, you are not completely on your own. com/changes-to-rails. 6 Development Environments The day-to-day business of writing Rails programs is pretty straightforward. Everyone works differently; here’s how we work. 0 printing, March 2009) 36 D EVELOPMENT E NVIRONMENTS The Command Line We do a lot of work at the command line. Although there are an increasing number of GUI tools that help generate and manage a Rails application, we find the command line is still the most powerful place to be.
In this chapter, we describe the default mechanism. 2, Routing Requests, on page 426. 0 printing, March 2009) 48 H ELLO , R AILS ! com/say/hello Create an instance of SayController class UserController def hello class SayController # code for o action def hello end class ProductController # code for hello action end def hello end class LoginController # code for hello action end def login end # code . . 3: Rails routes to controllers and actions. Now let’s try calling it. Navigate to the URL http://localhost:3000/say/hello in a browser window.
Agile Web Development with Rails (3rd Edition) by Dave Thomas, David Heinemeier Hansson, Sam Ruby